Summer is finally here, and we all know what that means...it’s BBQ season. Our favorite time of year. The temperatures are heating up and making it the perfect excuse for some chill time with family and friends to hang outside and chow down on some deliciously charred grub and seriously refreshing treats.
As the saying goes, “Sun’s out, buns out.” Hamburger and hot dog buns only, please, this is a family gathering. Unless of course, you or someone on your guest list has Celiac Disease or a gluten sensitivity. Then, enjoying a typical summer BBQ spread can be like navigating a minefield of unwelcome allergic reactions. However, with a little planning and some inspiring ideas for allergy-friendly snacks, everyone can enjoy these All-American summer celebrations.
Nut-free, dairy-free and gluten-free snacks don’t have to be a trade off in deliciousness. Before planning your next backyard menu, keep reading for some alternative BBQ snack options. Everyone will be so busy cleaning their plates and licking their fingers to worry about anything that might be missing.
Gluten-free Sauce Is BossWhat is a BBQ without the sauce of its namesake? Many people don’t realize that most popular store brands contain gluten. If you’re planning an allergy-friendly soiree, a gluten-free sauce is a must. Make sure to read the labels. Specialty grocers like Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s and others will have a larger selection of safe options. The other option is to make your own BBQ sauce, that way, you know exactly what’s in it.
Organic Snacks and Sides
The grill fare may get the spotlight, but the fan favorites at every BBQ are the delicious accompanying sides and snacks. With more natural and organic ingredients and some creative substitutions, everyone can enjoy classics that are more allergy friendly.
- Corn tortilla chips with salsa or guacamole offer a gluten-free, dairy-free and nut-free starter that’s irresistibly fun to crunch.
- Fruit Salad is a BBQ staple and a deliciously sweet sidekick to the meal. Our version includes, and is maybe solely composed of, our favorite flavors of organic fruit snacks.
- Elote, or Mexican street corn, takes grilled corn up a notch with creamy, cheesy goodness. Check out this recipe for a mayo-free take on this fiesta favorite.
- German potato salad is a tangy vinegar-based version of the more common spudtastic classic. Here’s one that is allergy and bacon friendly.
Delicious Dessert Ideas
An amazing dessert is the cherry on top of every summer BBQ, and it’s our favorite part of the meal, naturally. Satisfy your guests’ sweet tooth without upsetting any food allergies with these organic snacks for kids and the kids-at-heart.
- Licorice Skewers are a new take on fun fruit kabobs. Gluten free, nut free and organic licorice candies are a fun treat to enjoy around the fire pit.
- Homemade Frozen Fruit Pops can be made dairy free with a variety of different fruits and juices. Add organic sour beans for an unexpectedly delicious twist of sweet and sour.
- Here’s a Patriotic Jello Bundt that’s three layers of allergy friendly fun. Garnish with delicious YumEarth gummy bears and worms because...why not?
Treats for Adults Only – 21 and older only
Libations are a popular part of many backyard gatherings, but not all are allergy friendly. Make sure to treat your guests to gluten free beer, wine and cocktails made with allergy safe spirits.
Planning the perfect BBQ is half the fun. Creating a festive environment that brings family and friends that much closer, and is safe for all to enjoy, is the other half. Happy summer!