Looking for a delicious minty cookie? Look no further! The chocolate + mint combo in these cookies is the perfect taste of the holidays. This is one of our favorite crushed candy cane recipes, and is simple enough for baking with kids too. This recipe can also easily be made free from the top 8 allergens with the substitutions noted below. Nothing says the holidays more than baking with candy canes!
Thanks to our friends at Five Loaves Gluten Free Bakery for the recipe and photo!
Makes ~11-13 chocolate chip peppermint cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature (can substitute a dairy free, soy free butter)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (can substitute a flax egg)
- 1 tbsp ground flax (if substituting for an egg)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free flour (note: add xanthan gum if your gluten free flour does not contain it)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup mini dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup crushed YumEarth Organic Candy Canes (regular or mini!) (plus more for dipping)
HOW TO MAKE A FLAX EGG:
- Combine 1 tbsp ground flax with 3 tbsp’s of warm water and let sit for at least 5 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer), cream together the butter and granulated sugar until lightly and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract, and mix again for a few minutes.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Fold in the mini chocolate chips and YumEarth crushed candy canes until just combined.
- Scoop the cookie dough into rounded balls (about 2 tablespoons each) and dip into bowl of crushed candy canes; place on the lined baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes until slightly golden color around the edges.
- Allow cookies to cool for at least 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.