Recipe by @fiveloavesgf
Sugar Cookie Dough
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted vegan butter, softened at room temperature
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce, at room temperature*
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups gluten-free flour blend
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Cookie Bark Topping
- 1 ½ cups vegan white chocolate chips
- ½ cup crushed freeze dried strawberries
- ½ cup YumEarth Valentine’s Day gummy fruits
- ½ cup YumEarth Valentine's Day choco yums
Sugar Cookie Base
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using an electric stand mixer with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl using a handheld electric mixer, cream together the butter and granulated sugar until light and airy, roughly 2-5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- Next, add in the applesauce (or pumpkin puree) and vanilla extract, mixing again for 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, mixing in slowly until thoroughly combined.
- Place cookie dough onto the lined baking sheet. Then, using your hands, or a small rolling pin, press the cookie dough out. Spread evenly to create a large rectangle roughly a 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until lightly golden brown in color. Allow to cool completely on the baking sheet before continuing.
Cookie Bark Topping
- Place the white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between each time, until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. (Alternatively you can melt chocolate on the stove in a double boiler.)
- Using a rubber/icing spatula, spread the melted chocolate all over the sugar cookie rectangle.
- Sprinkle the crushed freeze dried strawberries, Valentine’s Day gummy fruits, and Valentine's Day choco yums onto the melted chocolate.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes or until chocolate is completely set. Then, break into pieces and enjoy!
- 1 (12 oz.) package gf/vegan sugar cookie dough (such as Sweet Loren’s) can be used as an alternative for the cookie dough base.
- *Pure pumpkin puree can be used instead of applesauce.
- Cookie bark can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.