Raspberry Lemon Easter Cupcakes
By: Nicole of @allergylicious
PREP TIME 5 minutes COOK TIME 18 minutes ADDITIONAL TIME 5 minutes
TOTAL TIME 35 minutes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 ¾ cup flour (AP or 1:1 GF flour Blend)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- ½ cup dairy-free milk
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup neutral oil (vegetable, safflower)
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (can sub with vanilla extract)
- ½ cup diced raspberries (fresh, not frozen)
- ½ cup vegan shortening (or butter or combo of both)
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-3 teaspoons flax milk for smoothness
- Food coloring of choice (green, pink, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder if making chocolate frosting
- YumEarth candies (Easter Giggles, Organic Pops, Gummy Fruits, Jelly Beans)
- Piping Tips (grass, large flower tip, medium flower tip, small flower tip, leaf)
- Piping Bags
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line 12 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, mix together sugar and lemon zest. Sift in dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt) directly into the bowl with sugar/zest.
- In a small bowl, whisk the wet ingredients (dairy-free milk, lemon juice, water, oil and extract).
- Pour liquids into the flour mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon or blend just until it's all incorporated.
- Fold in diced raspberries then evenly fill prepared cupcake tins 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes. Let cool on a cooling rack to cool.
- Place shortening in a bowl with a stand-up mixer. Use paddle attachment and whip 1-2 minutes until smooth. Sift in powdered sugar and add vanilla extract. Whip until nice and fluffy, adding in dairy-free milk until spreadable for your cake.
- Divide frosting in 3, and leave 1 as is, color 1 green, then add cocoa powder into the last batch and blend again until, adding in a splash of dairy-free milk if needed).
Pipe on frosting and decorate with YumEarth candies as desired. Enjoy!
* If making sheet cake, lightly coat a 9x13" pan with non-stick spray and dusting of flour. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until the center of the cake is done.